Tuesday, 6 August 2013

DIY: Dreamcatcher Tutorial

Hey guys! I have finished work for the summer and have had a glorious 2 weeks off already with another 4 to go (yippee) so I have been trying to keep myself busy and try out some new crafts. I always like to have a project to keep my mind occupied and get really impatient and must finish what I start immediately! If you follow me on instagram you will have seen me post pictures of my Monday DIY project which I couldn't wait to share with you all! I actually remembered to take step-by-step pictures as I was making these beauties (I was somewhat lackadaisical in my DIY tie dye shirt tutorial attempt, which is not like me!) Anyway, since my tipi adventure I became somewhat obsessed with dreamcatchers and thought I'd try to make my own and it literally is so easy once you get the hang of it. You can buy dreamcatcher making kits but if you want to design your own then you can buy all the materials you need separately from bead shops/craft shops/haberdashery sections etc. I decided to buy all mine individually so I wasn't as restricted to colours and beads. 

You will need:

Any size ring (I used memory wire bought from my local bead shop as it holds its shape much better) approximately 12cm
Leather/suede cord - approximately 240cm (this is for the ring, hoop and legs)
Strong but thin cord - approximately 200cm 
Leather adhesive or any other strong glue
A variety of beads
Feathers
Scissors
When you are buying your beads make sure that you check that the holes are big enough to fit through your cord. This is the reason it needs to be thin but it MUST be strong enough because you are going to be pulling it tightly. Similarly with the leather/suede cord for the legs as it will be doubled over, the material is pretty thick so always check before you buy!

The Tutorial

STEP 1: First of all you want to cut the length of your suede cord, I ended up using the whole 5m roll as I wasn't sure how much I would need and when I measured what was left I had only used about 70cm. So just to be sure for this size of ring you probably want about a metre just in case. Or just go round with the whole roll! There's nothing worse than running out of material! 
STEP 2: Now you want to start wrapping the cord around the wire, gluing the first few wraps down and holding tightly. Ensure it is stuck down firmly so that as you continue wrapping around the wire, it doesn't start to uncoil itself.
STEP 3: Once you have made your way around the ring and made your way to the end, you just want to glue another few wraps in place and cut the cord. Don't throw the leftover cord away as you will need it.
STEP 4: To make the loop, cut off some more cord, around about 10/20cm depending on how long you want it and wrap it around the top, gluing in place. Alternatively, you can tie it to the ring. Once it is firmly held it place, you can add some beads.
STEP 5: Now for the web design. Take the thin corn and tie it tightly to the top. You then want to pull it across and loop over the ring then pull it tight. You are going to be pulling on the line you have made, hence the need for strong cord.
STEP 6: Continue to make these loops around the ring and when you get back to the start after the last loop you have made, wrap it around again so it's tight and help in place.
STEP 7: Now you are going to continue doing that same technique but to the cord ensuring you pull tight. You can add beads as you go. They don't have to be in any order just add them whenever you feel like it. You will notice that on your first loop the cord goes behind as you can see from the picture but it's nothing to worry about, you will see the web start to take shape soon. You will start to get the hang of it!
STEP 8: Continue this technique, adding beads as you go, until you reach the middle. The good thing about it is if you make a mistake, although annoying, you can just unravel it all. It's not set in stone so don't worry if you make mistakes! Once you reach the centre just tie a knot onto one of the webs and cut off the excess. TIP: If you flip the dreamcatcher over you won't be able to see where you have cut it.
Your webbing should look something like this.
STEP 9: So, onto the legs. Cut each leg about 40cm (again depending on how long you want them to hang) and wrap it around the ring so the size is now in half.
STEP 10: Then you want to just tie them to the ring in a knot and add some beads. TIP: If your bead holes are too big and they start sliding down the cord, you can just tie a knot underneath to keep them in place.
STEP 11: Add some beads and stuff the feathers into the beads so they don't fall down...
And ta da!
 I then went on to make this other dreamcatcher using a different webbing design which was very simple as well. Let me know if you would like a tutorial on this design. It is just as easy, if not easier. 
So there you have it. I hope you found this tutorial helpful and if you need any advice, I'll help as much as I can! I hope to get a few more posts in before I go on my Florida adventure next week but if not, I shall return armed with holiday outfit posts for you soon. Be sure to follow me on instagram and twitter (@jorandall86) for live updates :) Much love xxx

7 comments:

  1. I love this tutorial so much! I am literally going to head off to fabric land before work tomorrow so i can make one too - i LOVE dream catchers <333

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, I really wanna do this DIY!
    http://golddustk.blogspot.co.uk/
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a brilliant tutorial! Definitely going to give this a go :) thanks xx

    Abby | Beauty and a Blogger

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this tutorial and your dreamcatchers :) I already have 4 dreamcatchers but you can never have too many. When I have some time I really wanna have a go at making one-you made it look really easy! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG thanks for sharing this tutorial! Don't know where to go looking for one in my town, might as well make my own. Been having nightmares lately. Need this in my life. :)

    xx Daphne of http://daphnebenosa.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look great!!

    Great post, Thanks for sharing!:)

    You have a lovely blog!<3

    Please visit my blog..
    http://polkaanddots.blogspot.co.uk/

    Hugs, Brittany, xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely! This tutorial is helpful. Just a question- how did you attach the feathers? Did you just glue them?thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your beautiful words. They really make my day <3
Jo xxx